The Tower Restoration Project
The Tower of St Peter’s can be seen on the skyline from most aspects in Brighton, and can’t be missed by anyone driving to the seafront via London Road!
Designed by Sir Charles Barry – who later went on to be architect of the Palace of Westminster – it has been standing on this site since construction began in 1824. At the time it was situated at the gateway to Brighton!
Despite its grand appearance, the condition of the Tower has become an increasing health & safety concern over the past few years.
For many years, the base of the Tower has been surrounded by Heras fencing, but this proved to be inadequate – not only from a safety perspective but also in protecting the Grade II* listed building itself.
In December 2014, we started to erect the scaffolding now seen around the Tower in order to better protect it from winter storms and prevent any further damage and masonry falls.
With this complete, work has now begun on repairing the Tower roof and external walls. This includes associated masonry such as the impressive pinnacles, flying buttresses and pierced balustrades.
This is a huge project for our church for which we are actively fundraising. We would like thank the Heritage Lottery Fund for their generous support of this project, as well as English Heritage, The National Churches Trust, American Express, the Garfield Weston Foundation, Sussex Historic Churches, the Allchurches Trust and The Prince of Wales Charitable Foundation.